Darien Rowayton Bank provides steps for personal safety, account security and ID theft protection.
With the banking conveniences made possible by ATMs, point-of-sale transactions, electronic debits and credits, online banking and mobile banking, there's an increased need for security and personal caution to protect yourself against identity theft.
You need to protect your personal safety as well as your debit cards, PINs, cell phones and computers.
- Shred any of the following before you discard them:
- Bank statements
- Credit card applications or bills
- Any correspondence regarding your employment or financial holdings
- Expired credit cards
- Never give out your Social Security number
- Do not open emails from unknown senders
- Protect all passwords
- Review all bank statements and credit card bills for unauthorized activity
- Obtain a copy of your credit report periodically:
If you suspect there might be a problem, contact the police immediately. Also contact your bank and credit card companies and call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline at 877- IDTHEFT (877-438-4338).